Monday, November 19, 2012

Creamy Farfalle with Mushrooms and Peas

What a let down.

I was looking forward to this dish ALL day, because I knew I was just cooking for me (which is convenient because I'm the only one in this house that would eat it). Plus, it's a Fabio Viviani dish, so how could it not be fabulous? I even had a green protein shake for lunch to help me feel less guilty about this indulgence. Well, I could've skipped the liquid lunch because I was not pleased with my results here.


There were several problems: 
1) It was bland. I thought that with the pancetta, plus the salt I added to the sauce, there'd be plenty of flavor. But nope. I had to add more salt tableside, even AFTER I dashed on some parmesan. And more black pepper. And some cayenne.

2) My sauce was sticky. That could have been easily remedied, had I added more liquid to the roux. But I kinda sorta halved the recipe and didn't want my sauce to be TOO runny. Obviously, I underestimated. And then I was just lazy. I thought, Why bother with making the texture right when it doesn't even taste good? Which brings me to my next problem.

3) The pancetta tasted old. This was the most disappointing of all. I love pig. Pig is good. Usually. But tonight, he let me down.

I don't appreciate foods that require a lot of added salt, so I probably won't make this again. I'm just dumbfounded, too, because I love all of these elements...just not altogether, I guess.

Creamy Farfalle with Mushrooms & Peas

2 tbsps. Butter
3 tbsps. All-purpose flour
2 1/2 c. whole milk -at room temperature
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ c pancetta -diced
3 tbsps. Extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound brown button mushrooms -sliced
3/4 c. green peas -frozen
1 Lb. farfalle pasta


 In a medium size saucepot heat the butter over medium heat then add the flour and whisk until smooth and the flour loses its raw flavor, about 4 minutes. Add the milk all and whisk until smooth. Simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and cover to keep warm.

  eat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook until golden and crispy then transfer it to a bowl and keep warm. Add the mushrooms to the skillet with a pinch of salt and sauté until tender and golden, for about 15 minutes. Stir in the peas and continue cooking until warmed through. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.


Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until al dente. Drain and transfer the pasta to a large bowl together with the mushrooms, peas and pancetta. Pour the cream sauce on top and gently toss to coat. Adjust seasonings and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment