Thursday, May 19, 2011

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

This is the first time I've made fried chicken and since this was the Pioneer Woman's recipe I had high hopes! I was stoked to make this for Mark, too, because he's been begging me to make it for, well, ever. Turns out I shouldn't have been so confident.

I'll start with the butchering. This was a terrible experience. If I can buy already-cut-up pieces next time, I will. And I dunno if it's because of how I chopped the pieces or just from this chicken in particular, but there was a lot of blood in the legs. I ended up throwing 3 pieces out because they were bleeding. I didn't like the chopping and trimming, but I HATED the post-fry bleeding. Ick.

After the chopping, the chicken took a bath overnight in buttermilk. I think that has everything to do with the juiciness. The breading mixture was yummy and not too salty. The issue I had was with the crispiness. There wasn't much. I should've stuck a thermometer in the oil. I was afraid it was too hot and burning the chicken, so I turned the heat down after the first 4 pieces. Mistake. The chicken ended up a little too mushy.

My camera's battery charger is currently MIA so I had to take pics with my phone. I decided a paper plate was appropriate, given the circumstance.

Post milk-bath

After the fry, before the bake (see the blood???)

The finished product with fried asparagus and biscuit

No comments:

Post a Comment