Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Slow Cooker "Dutch" Onion Soup

First, lemme just get this outta the way. Soup is not meat pie. I'm aware.

What's the difference between Dutch onion soup and French onion soup? The bread. My neighbor brought over some Dutch crunch rolls yesterday and I knew that if I didn't use them by today, they'd go to waste. The very fist thing that popped into my head was French onion soup. And I'm no food historian, so I'm not sure where else French onion soup got its name other than the bread, hence the name "Dutch" Onion Soup.

The recipe is easy to follow and uses only a few ingredients. What makes it different from traditional French onion soup is that bread is prepared separately and then placed on top of the bowl of soup at the time of service. I'm sure you could divide the soup into crocks so that the cheese and bread could be broiled in the soup, but I don't think it makes much difference. This dish's one flaw is that I should've peeled one more layer of onion off before adding it to the soup. Every once in a while you get a tough/chewy piece.

A note about eating this soup (or any soup): please let it cool a little. It was so good, my entire mouth is numb from being scalded.


Slow Cooker French Onion Soup

Soup
3 large onions, sliced (3 cups)
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) ready-to-serve beef broth

Cheesy Broiled French Bread
8 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
2 tablespoons grated or shredded Parmesan cheese

1 Mix onions and margarine in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2 Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 to 35 minutes or until onions begin to slightly brown around edges.
3 Mix flour, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir flour mixture and broth into onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 9 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until onions are very tender.
4 Prepare Cheesy Broiled French Bread. Place 1 slice bread on top of each bowl of soup. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment