Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Parsnip Soup

Now that it's finally acting like Autumn, it's officially soup weather. Yes, I made soup last week, but that was pushing it.

In September, I posed this question on my blog's Facebook page: "Do you have a recipe that you always/only make in Autumn?" My college friend, Caty (Massey) Perez, answered by providing her recipe for parsnip soup, and I knew I'd eventually make it for the blog. Last night was the night, although I didn't finish it until this afternoon when I added the cream and seasoning.

I didn't edit any of the ingredients; I only changed the process a bit. I used an immersion blender instead of a traditional blender to create less mess, and I turned an hour process into an 18-hour process. (A last-minute sushi invite took precedence.) I also didn't reserve any of the leeks for garnish. But other than washing/peeling/chopping the veggies, there's really nothing tricky about the prep. Just be sure to wash the leeks THOROUGHLY.

As far as the taste is concerned, I like this soup, but it's not my favorite. It could be that I didn't add enough salt, but I'm always light-handed with salt, because the thought of over-salting makes me nervous. I figure if someone wants more salt, they can add it to their own portion. For people who need to chew something, the recipe calls for reserving some of the leeks for garnish, so I'm sure that would make a difference. I tossed in some croutons for the heck of it and they worked well to add texture.

One thing I need to point out about this recipe is that it is inexpensive. The whole huge pot cost me less than $10 and would feed 6-8. :^}


PARSNIP SOUP

2 tablespoons butter
1 pound prepared sliced leeks (2 cups)
1 pound parsnips, trimmed, peeled, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium baking potato (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper

Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks (reserving 1/2 cup for garnish). Cook, stirring, 5 minutes.

Add parsnips, apples, potato, broth, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Return it to pot; stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment