Monday, December 19, 2011

Cornbread Skillet

Tonight, I felt like making something thick. I browsed through my gmail "Food" folder and found yet another recipe from my friend, Hillary (@momdmbfan). This one sounded exactly like what I was looking for, and it helped that I had some of the ingredients. I did have to finally buy a cast iron skillet, though.


The flavors in this are mild, depending on how many jalapenos you use. I used only one, and only of half the dish. The kiddo only likes jalapeno when it's on Cheetos. I used sharp cheddar and sweet white onion. As with many of the dishes I've made, I feel like it's missing something. Maybe a dash more salt would help. When I make this again, I think I'll make taco meat, and use that. Or I could use the mister's hamburger meat. Hmmm....


CORNBREAD SKILLET

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup corn meal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 15oz can creamed corn
1 cup milk
1/4 cup veg. oil
1 lb ground chuck
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 large onion chopped
2-4 jalapeno peppers

Mix first 7 ingredients together.

Brown ground chuck. Pour 1/2 meal mixture into hot iron skillet, sprinkle evenly with beef. Top with onion, cheese and peppers. Pour remaining batter over top. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

P.S. After typing us this entry, I realized I completely left out the vegetable oil. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment