Saturday, December 17, 2011

Texican Chili

Okay, so I don't know if I can even call this "Texican Chili" because I changed the recipe up quite a bit. But, I don't wanna put MY name on it, because this isn't the greatest chili I've ever tasted. I got a, "It's missing something," and a, "I like it just the way it is." I tend to agree with the former.

It's a slow cooker recipe, which I love, because the whole house smelled amazing. The only complication is that you cook all the meat first. Big whoop, right?

If you have a chili recipe that you love, can you take a look at the ingredients below and tell me what you think is missing? Thanks!


TEXICAN CHILI


8 bacon strips, diced
2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt, optional
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to
drain. Brown beef in the drippings over medium heat; drain.
Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add bacon and remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender,
stirring occasionally.

2 comments:

  1. My regular chili recipe has all that you mentioned (seasonings), but I put the meat in raw and it cooks all together. Maybe that's it, maybe the fat from the meat makes it taste better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, but I poured all the drippings in the pot after I browned the meat. I think the stewed tomatoes made it too sweet.

    ReplyDelete