Sunday, February 5, 2012

Honey Jack Bacon Snack Mix

Super Bowl Sunday means snack foods, so the first recipe I decided to try was this one for Kentucky Bourbon Bacon Chex Mix; however, I didn't use bourbon or bacon. Or Chex mix.

Below is the recipe with my changes. Yes, I'll make this again. It's sweet, salty, spicy, addicting. I'm forcing myself to ignore the giant tub full, sitting on my counter. The only slight problem I have with this was the turkey bacon got a little overdone in the oven. I might not make it AS crispy next time.


Honey Jack Bacon Snack Mix

1 bag (15 oz) snack mix
1/2 lb turkey bacon (6 to 8 slices), crisply cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey whiskey
3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder

Heat oven to 300°F. Line two 15x10x1-inch pans with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix snack mix and bacon. Set aside.

In 2-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Cool 2 minutes. Carefully stir in bourbon and chipotle chili powder. Pour over snack mixture; toss until evenly coated.

Spread snack mixture on pans. Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, to caramelize mixture. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment