Thursday, May 3, 2012

Whole Wheat Pop Tarts from Scratch!

Since my life has been occupied by play rehearsals, I have asked a very good friend of mine if I could feature a Facebook post of hers on my blog. So, please, enjoy! (Thanks, Natalie!) And I am seriously annoyted with the new Blogger because now I can't get my font size to be the same as before. Immaterial, I know. But it irks me.

Whole Wheat Pop Tarts from Scratch!


Start by making a pie crust as follows:

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup butter
4-5 Tablespoons cold water

I made this using a food processor but I'm sure you can do it by hand. Mix the wheat and salt. Cut in the butter until it resembles a crumb. Add the water until you get it to form a ball. Divide the dough into equal halves. Roll out into a square . You want it to be pretty thin but not so thin you can't peel it off the counter without tearing it. Cut off any rough edges so that it looks like a square. Cut into 6 rectangles. Place 3 rectangles on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Add your favorite filling and spread without reaching the edges of the dough. (I used jam but you could use Nutella or almost anything else. You can even make them savory like a calzone, or fill it with pesto...endless possibilities!) Put the other 3 rectangles on top of the filled ones and gently press edges with a fork to close. Repeat with the other half of the dough.

Beat 1 egg with 1 Tbs. water. Brush onto the top of the pop tarts. (Optional.) Poke holes in the top with a fork.

Bake at 375 for approx. 20 minutes or until golden brown. Promptly remove to cooling rack.

I got this idea from the book "The Homemade Pantry" By Alana Chernila.

1 comment: