Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pork Adobo with Corn Fritters

I gotta tell ya: I'm starting to bug myself with this whole not-following-the-recipe thing. I'm never gonna be able to properly review a recipe because I almost never do as I'm directed! RAWR!

The reviews of this week's 2 dishes were split; the main dish was a hit and the side dish was a bust. So I'll start with the main dish, pork adobo. This was very simple, and I actually cooked it just a little too long. The boys both liked it, but I wouldn't have minded it being a little more tender. You can click on the link in this paragraph to see the full recipe, but here are the flavors that were used on the cubed pork shoulder: vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar and a bay leaf. The meat marinates for at least 30 minutes and then simmers on the stove for an hour. After it's cooked through, the meat gets browned on all sides in a skillet and then it's ready to go. I cooked the sauce in the skillet hoping it would reduce a bit, but it didn't.


Next up are the frituras de maiz. This appetizer did not turn out well. Main reason: it's not corn season. The recipe calls for fresh corn kernels and I could only find canned. I thought I drained and dried the corn enough but the photo below begs to differ. The recipe says to add a little bit of flour if the mixture of ground corn, egg, sugar and salt is "too wet," but I added at least a cup of flour in order to get decent fritters to photograph and it was STILL too wet. 


Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment