Sunday, January 22, 2012

Kabocha Squash Hummus

Early in the week, I made this, but I didn't take any pictures, because hummus just isn't that attractive. I also wasn't sure if I was going to even post it as a blog, since I've blogged about hummus already. But, alas, I didn't get around to making anything else new this week, so I decided to go ahead and do it.

I think I'd like this recipe a lot more if it called for a certain amount of squash, i.e. less. I roasted only have of the squash and didn't even use all of it, because my food processor is a mini. Still, it's too squashy. So, add the kabocha with caution, unless you REALLY LOVE it.


Kabocha Squash Hummus

1 medium kabocha squash--peeled, seeds removed and discarded, and flesh coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 head garlic
One 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1½ tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic-chile paste

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, toss the squash pieces with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the squash on a baking sheet, place in the oven and roast until the squash flesh is fork tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.

2. Slice the top of the garlic head off and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then wrap in aluminum foil and place in the oven until softened and fragrant, about 30 minutes. Reserve two of the cloves for the hummus and save the rest for another use.

3. In a food processor, combine the cooked squash, roasted garlic cloves, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic-chile paste. Process until smooth, season with salt and serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment