Friday, March 23, 2012

Mexican Mochi Pizza

Three culinary worlds have collided with my boredom and landed on a plate. I know, right?!


First of all, lemme describe mochi. Er, rather, let's have Wikipedia describe it: "Mochi is a Japanese rice cake made of glutinous rice (not to be confused with gluten) pounded into paste and molded into shape." I found this at Whole Paycheck--read that today while reading a different recipe and it make me laugh--when I was searching for gluten-free stuff. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until I googled "mochi pizza". I found this video, and got inspired.

Fast-forward several weeks. Since today is Friday and I'm home alone, I decided to play around with my burrito leftovers. As I was pulling them out of the fridge, I came across the mochi and had the perfect idea: Mexican mochi pizza! I pan-fried the mochi according to the above video and then layered beans, Tapatio (hot sauce), cheese, sauteed bell pepper, taco meat. After the photo, I added a few slices of avocado, too. DELISH!

This was a pretty ingenious idea, if I do say so myself. Now, a note about mochi--it's dense. I used only half of the 6 oz. block and it was too much. But it tastes fine, not like anything, really. Makes it versatile. When I make the other half, I'm gonna bake it as directed on the package, and I'll try to remember to leave a comment here about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment