Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tomato Pie

Fail.

I was super stoked to make this Tomato Pie recipe (below) that I got from my friend, Hillary. It's got only a few ingredients and steps, and I butchered it. She even told me she sent it because she knows I take some liberties with recipes and this one's "very forgiving". Obviously, not enough for me! Here 'tis:


BREAD CRUMBS, PLAIN OR SEASONED
TOMATOES
SWEET ONIONS
1 PKG. SHREDDED PARM CHEESE
1 PKG. SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE
4-6 STRIPS OF BACON
1 EGG
(THIS IS FOR A PIE DISH. INCREASE QUANTITIES FOR 9X13)

The beauty of this recipe is you can use whatever cheeses you like with tomatoes. Combine cheeses. Slightly brown the bacon to remove some of the grease. Beat egg. Sprinkle a layer of bread crumbs in pan as bottom "crust". Layer sliced tomato, onion and half the cheese. Repeat layers with tomato, onion and cheese. Sprinkle a layer of bread crumbs as top "crust". Drizzle beaten egg over the top. Top with strips of bacon. Bake at 350 for 30-45 min, depending on oven. Serve hot.


Simple right? I used Roma tomatoes, Romano and mozzarella cheese and Italian breadcrumbs. As far as the breadcrumbs go, less is more, I found out. My layers were just too thick and ended up staying dry. And with the tomatoes, less is bad. I should've layered those on a little thicker. I also had a problem with the egg "drizzle", oddly enough. It kinda all fell out on one spot. :^/


The overall flavor of this dish ended up being WAY too salty with the Romano cheese and Italian crumbs. It has great potential, though. I will make this again, but with plain breadcrumbs and maybe only 5 pieces of bacon instead of 6. Eh, who am I kidding? I'll probably try to fit 7 slices of bacon on there!

No comments:

Post a Comment